Environmental Remediation Services
The AVESI environmental team comprised of engineers, scientists, geologists, data managers, and regulatory compliance managers is prepared to support your environmental challenges. We serve government and private sector clients focusing on site characterization, risk assessment, remedial design, and hazard mitigation for the development of practical remedies.
AVESI environmental services include:
- Vapor Intrusion Sampling, Investigation and Modeling
- Soil, Water, and Air sampling
- Site Characterizations
- Management, Planning, and Reporting
- Project Plan Development
- Value Engineering
- Program Management and Implementation Support
- Scientific Peer Review Support Services
- Regulatory and Policy Support
- Data Management, Analysis, and Validation
- Technical/Training Support
- Health and Safety Compliance
Geospatial (GIS) Technologies
- GeoDatabase/Database Design, Programming, and Management
- Data Animations
- Environmental Reporting
- Waste Management and Disposal
- Regulatory Training
- Human Health Risk Assessment
Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
A geographic information system (GIS) is the combination of computer hardware, software, and data that is used to capture, manage, analyze, and display all forms of geographically related information. Much more than a simple “map-making” program, a GIS can fully integrate geographical data with almost limitless other attributes (for example, environmental, population, or topographical data) to create powerful analysis tools for a wide variety of client needs.
AVESI specialists have a proven track record of developing and implementing GIS technology that serves as an efficient management tool throughout the life cycle of client projects. For example, AVESI scientists utilize GIS to manage, analyze, and display soil radioactivity data generated during investigations of potentially radioactive sites. GIS software is used to create color-coded maps of radiation levels across the site. The color-coded maps allow AVESI scientists and other decision-makers to visualize, analyze and interpret areas of elevated radioactivity in order to focus subsequent efforts on the specific zones needing additional investigation. Three-dimensional soil contamination modeling can be used to aid scientists and engineers in determining soil area and volume that require excavation.
Although the applications of GIS technology are nearly limitless, examples include:
- Analysis and mapping of environmental soil, groundwater, surface water, and air data
- 3-D modeling of environmental soil, groundwater, surface water, and air data
- Development of remedial soil volume estimates
- Demographic analyses for siting studies and market analysis
- Mapping and analysis of area topography for watershed studies
Three-dimensional representation of area topography:
- Mapping and analysis of area vegetation for forestry studies
- Mapping, analysis, and display of social data (for example, crime data)
- Analysis and display of agricultural data to improve crop yields
- Managing and displaying locations of utility locations such as subsurface electric, gas, and water lines
- Analysis and interpretation of satellite aerial photography
- Emergency management applications (e.g., street address mapping and route planning)
Three-dimensional contamination model
The Multi-Agency Radiation Survey and Site Investigation Manual (MARSSIM) under NUREG1575 provides detailed guidance for planning, implementing, and evaluating environmental and facility radiological surveys conducted in compliance with a dose- or risk-based regulation. The MARSSIM guidance focuses on the demonstration of compliance during the final status survey following scoping, characterization, and any necessary remedial actions.
AVESI’s team of radiological experts has implemented all phases of MARSSIM taking sites from Historical Site Assessments through Final Status Surveys to ensure the most productive use of client resources. Our MARSSIM professionals understand the nuances inherent in MARSSIM systematic planning and on-site analytical tools for real-time decision making to obtain a rapid, cost-effective, and compliant release.
AVESI has experience with various procurement contracts including:
- As a formal distributor for Fisher Scientific, AVESI supplied chemicals as well as laboratory supplies and equipment at discounted rates. AVESI supplied chemicals for the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP) lab in St. Louis, Missouri through the prime contractor to the United States Army Corps of Engineers.
- AVESI completed the procurement of laboratory appliances for the National Aeronautics Space Administration (NASA) in Cape Canaveral, Florida.
- AVESI completed a procurement contract with the Department of Veterans Affairs at Fort Detrick AFB. The contract required AVESI to manufacture and deliver 13 custom FIDLER (Field Instrument for the Detection of Low Energy Radiation) probes to Brooks AFB in Texas.
- To date, AVESI has been awarded numerous procurement contracts with the Department of Veterans Affairs at Jefferson Barracks in St. Louis Missouri supporting the VA Medical Center Employee Education Services Departments in Northport, NY; Little Rock, AR; and St. Louis MO.
- AVESI was a distributor for Office Depot supplying clients like the State of Illinois agencies with various office products and office equipment.
Radiation Health Physics
AVESI specializes in the planning and implementation of radiological remedial investigations for a long list of clients. AVESI has experience in the historical review, the data gap examination, the characterization of radioactive contamination, the study of anomalies and the execution of survey techniques, sampling, and remediation strategies to assist our clients in environmental investigations.
- Comprehensive Radiation Protection Programs
- Premier FUSRAP Experience
- Gamma Walkover Surveys/Excavation Guidance
- MARSSIM/MARSAME Final Status Survey
- ArcView GIS mapping
- Safety Inspections and Auditing
- Dose Reconstruction and Risk Assessments
- Field Laboratory Set-Up and Support
- Data Validation Expertise
- Procurement and Staff Augmentation Services
Radiological Remediation Services
AVESI, Inc. has a radioactive material license and specializes in radiation health physics in order to provide our clients a one-stop shop for radiological remediation services. AVESI’s extensive demonstrated experience includes but is not limited to:
- Remediation of radioactive waste services including site characterization, sampling, laboratory analyses and data management, excavation support, worker protection, contamination control, shipping and disposal support, and MARSSIM surveys (via GPS NaI walkovers).
- Transport, set-up, and operation of gamma spectroscopy laboratory in support of remediation activities demanding short turnaround times for remediation guidance.
- Development and oversight of a Radiation Protection Program. This includes all facets of a program such as procedure development, program audits, personnel training, and radiological controls for source receipt and handling, and dosimetry support.
- Radiation Protection Staff – AVESI radiation protection experts include Certified Health Physicists, Radiation Safety Officers, Environmental Engineers specializing in Radiation Remediation, as well as certified Health Physics Technicians.
- Instrumentation – AVESI maintains a comprehensive inventory of radiological instrumentation in order to provide our clients a full-service experience.
- Effluent sampling and monitoring while performing chemical and radiological risk assessments. Developing the Derived Concentration Guidelines Level (DCGL) for different radionuclides in support of risk assessment activities. Management of comprehensive air monitoring programs for site-conceptual modeling, dose assessments, development of engineering controls and conducting air quality analysis for permit applications.
- Preparing various types of compliance reporting such as discharge monitoring reports, dose reporting, permit applications, feasibility studies, five-year reviews, records of decision, post-remedial action reports, site close-out implementation plans, environmental site assessments, remedial investigations, risk assessments, and engineering evaluations.
- Dose reconstruction and risk assessment associated with probability of causations in support of the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) for claimants under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act.